Nine Culver instructors were honored with academic chairs during a recent academic convocation by Dean of Faculty Josh Pretzer. Academic chairs are endowments established by generous alumni and their families to recognize and honor exceptional teaching at Culver Academies. These endowments support the salary and benefits of the faculty named to the chairs.
Academic Chairs of Teaching are awarded to instructors or senior instructors who have demonstrated exemplary commitment to the Culver mission, the Culver Teaching and Learning Model, their colleagues, and their own professional growth. An academic chair is both an honor and a bestowed trust given to an individual whom Culver Academies has deemed worthy of pursuing an academic endeavor to the benefit of the individual, their department, and the Academies overall.
As an academic chair, a faculty member has priority access to professional development funds in support of their goals, particularly those established towards having a broader impact on Culver. Applications for those funds will be solicited from the pool of academic chairs in the spring each year by the Dean of Faculty.
Academic Chairs of Teaching are selected by the Dean of Faculty and Chief Academic Officer in consultation with appropriate members of the Department Chair team. Recognition of Academic Chairs will occur at the fall Academic Convocation. A faculty member holds the Academic Chair until he or she is promoted to Master Instructor. A faculty member may step down from a Chair at their request.
- Robert B.D. Hartman Chair of Teaching – Kim Bowman, Humanities Department, Curriculum Team Leader, Challenge Course Manager. The chair was established in 2013 by Kim and Miles White ’73.
- The Dale and Elizabeth McMillen, Jr. Chair in American Heritage – Kurt Christiansen, Humanities Department, Batten Committee Chair, Head CMA Baseball Coach. The chair was established in 1974 by Elizabeth and Dale McMillen, Jr. ’32.
- John R. Mars Chair of Teaching Excellence – Lauren Coil-Sherck, Science Department, PLC Lead Facilitator, Learning Support Coach. The chair was established in 2009 by the James F. Dicke Sr. family.
- John & Virginia Bays Chair of Fine Arts – Richard Coven, Fine Arts Department, Curriculum Team Leader, Director of Theatre. The chair was established by the Byron H. Somers Foundation in 1982.
- J. Donnelly Chair of Mathematics – Bill Farmer, Mathematics Department, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Barracks Inspector. The chair was established in 2008 by Bernard Petrie ’43.
- Dicke Chair of Educational Technology – Caren Standfast, Mathematics Department, Curriculum Team Leader, Pigott Center Innovator. The chair was established in 1983 by the James F. Dicke Sr. family.
- William A. Moncrief Jr. Chair of Humanities – Emily Uebler, Humanities Department, Writing Center Director, Director of New Faculty Development, Learning Support Coach. The chair was established by William A. Moncrief Jr. ’37 in 1981.
- Richard W. Gimbel Chair for Humanities – J.D. Uebler, Humanities Department, Department Chair, Assistant CMA Baseball Coach. The chair was established in 2007 by the Margaret Jane Gimbel Living Trust.
- Hough Family Chair of Fine Arts – Jack Williams, Fine Arts Department, Curriculum Team Leader, Pigott Center Innovator. The chair was established by Cass S. Hough ’21 and the Edward and Mary Hough Kimble Foundation in 1961.
Biology instructor Kristin Little ’75 also received the Kinsey Chair in Science. Originally established by the Norman V. Kinsey Family as an instructorship in 1983, it moved to the chair level in 2007. Little, who has been the holder of the chair, is the Biology Level Chair and Honors in Equine Science Adviser.